Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Another introduction is in order

The final (I promise this is the last WIP!) project I've currently got on the burners is my very first 'original character', Samwell.

Admittedly, he's a bit bald at the moment, and that's something I should probably rectify (even though he looks surprisingly okay that way). And his suit is quite a bit less ripped than I plan on having it. But it's something.

Going by me middle school imagination, Samwell is a hawk demon with long blue hair, an armband tattoo, and an earring with the fang of his girlfriend on it. He could also talk to birds, and was a super genius. And could hack into any computer system.

I'm....pretty sure this was the first picture I drew, so yeeeeeaaaaah. Surprisingly, it's always been a bit difficult for me to draw Samwell, because I always think back to how I drew him years and years ago. Since my style's largely drifted away from emulating Yu-Gi-Oh, there are quite a few set-in-stone 'character traits' that really don't hold sway with how I draw things nowadays, bu they're often what I picture whenever I go to put him on paper. Square eyes, winged eyelashes, and randomly emphasized musculature were what I had thought made him unique, and figuring out how to evolve his concept really gives me artists block sometimes.

It's an interesting phenomenon, since I often feel like my drawings of him are worse than when I depict more recently created characters. Am I regressing when I draw him? Is this how comic artists feel, once their title has been running for a decade or more?

Anyone else have issues like this, drawing older characters, or favorite cartoons from your childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment